måndag 26 oktober 2009

Goliath and the Vampires (1961)



Original title: Maciste contro il Vampiro

Peplum. Italy. Starring Gordon Scott, Gianna Maria Canale & Jacques Sernas. Directed by Sergio Corbucci & Giacomo Gentilomo.

Mariann Video (Sweden). English dubbed. Letterboxed.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Goliath gets my vote for the best ever peplum - and one of all-time favorites of any genre I might add. This film is the essance of everything that is fun and entertaining with the peplum - there's just no beating it! 5/5

5 kommentarer:

  1. This is one of the best, for sure. Gordon Scott is one of my favorite stars of the genre alongside Dan Vadis. I like Scott's movies more than Reeves. Scott was a better actor and even seemed to do his own stunts and some often dangerous ones at that.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I'm also a big fan of Scott's. Not as beefed up as the others broilers but his got lots of charm and is not a bad actor. I have to confess I really can't stand Dan Vadis though... when it comes to the peplum B-list i'm much more fond of Kirk Morris.

    SvaraRadera
  3. I think Scott was the best actor of the whole lot of muscleman stars. He also seemed to have done all of his own stunts. Some of them were quite dangerous. He was very intense.

    Yeah, I like Dan Vadis a lot. He was very lively and agile and also appeared to have done all, or most of his own stunts. He was no doubt one of the most successful of the stars considering his long career after the peplum/fusto films ended.

    I can barely take Kirk Morris. The best film I've seen him in (that comes to mind) is HERCULES, SAMSON & ULYSSES (1965) and that film isn't all that great itself.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Have you seen THE WITCH'S CURSE? 100% classic peplum/horror with Morris at his finest (btw, have you noticed how he sucks in his chest in most films?)

    SvaraRadera
  5. Yes, I have THE WITCHES CURSE. I posted a number of pics from it in one of my peplum articles mostly of the gorgeous Helene Chanel. Wow what a beauty she is/was.

    LOL! Yes, I have noticed that about him sucking in his gut to make his chest poke out more.

    SvaraRadera