onsdag 2 december 2009

Fabulous Journey to the Center of the Earth (1976)



Original title: Viaje al centro de la Tierra

Adventure/Fantasy. Spain. Starring Kenneth More, Frank Braña, Jack Taylor, Pep Munné, Lone Fleming & Ivonne Sentis. Directed by Juan Piquer Simón.

VTC (Sweden). English dubbed. Letterboxed.

Maybe a bit campy for most people but in my book this is one of the most shamelessly entertaining fantasy films of the seventies! I'm a sucker for Jules Verne films and this one is almost as fun as its cover art! A near perfect blend of the dry, the goofy and the fantastical. This is tape no longer in my collection (have the DVD but need to get another copy just for the cover art!) 4/5

4 kommentarer:

  1. Fun movie, Lars. It takes a little while to get going, but I like it. I first saw it as a kid as well as J.P.'s other fantasy flick, MYSTERY ON MONSTER ISLAND. You seen that one, Lars? Peter Cushing and Paul Naschy have roles and Terence Stamp plays the villain.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I have seen MONSTER ISLAND and unfortunely it's the one Piquer/Verne fantasy film that doesn't work at all. Dreadfully boring film. And Paul Naschy is hardly in it for 5 seconds. Check out his films SEA DEVILS though, I like it a lot (even though I seem to be pretty alone in that respect).

    SvaraRadera
  3. I just bought a dvd release of a Piquer movie with slightly smaller monsters: SLUGS! xD

    SvaraRadera
  4. A good investment there Jack, SLUGS is really fun! Come to think of it I think i've liked all the Piquer movies i've seen except MONSTER ISLAND... even E.T VISITORS! (FABOLOUS JOURNEY remains my personal favorite though)

    SvaraRadera